|VIDEO GAME CONNECTION - Game Manuals
Karate is a full-color action game, for one or two players, to be
played on the ATARI(R) Video Computer System.(TM)
Speed, skill and guts are not enough! You must also be constantly alert
and clever enough in your strategy to outfight your opponent. But that may
be the last time it's an equal match. After the first furious 2-minute round,
one of you advances to red belt level while the loser stays a white belt.
And it could get even more difficult after that, because someone advances after
each match. If it's not you who advances, you could be in for the beating of
As a beginning white belt, you have a 'body arsenal' including straight
punches and up punches, straight kicks and up kicks. But so does your
opponent! While you're on the attack, you must also dodge or block your
opponent's kicks and punches.
Everything happens at close quarters, and the action gets faster and more
furious as you battle your way to the highest honor - The Black Belt. And
even then, your opponent will challenge you to defend your status!
Instructions for Setup
1. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to connect the ATARI(R) Video
Computer System(TM) to your TV.
2. Install only the Left Joystick control for a single player. Install
both Joysticks if two players are engaging in Karate action.
3. Make certain that the ATARI(R) power switch is OFF, then insert the game
4. Set the TV TYPE switch to the proper setting.
5. Set the DIFFICULTY switch to A (slow) or B (fast).
6. Set the CHANNEL 2-3 switch to the proper setting for your TV.
7. Move the POWER switch to ON.
Instructions For Play
1. Push SELECT to select 1 player or 2 players, and get ready!
2. The match starts automatically after a few seconds. You can restart the
game at any time by pushing RESET. This returns both fighters to white belt
status and restarts the 2-minute clock.
3. The Joystick moves each fighter up/down and right/left across the screen.
The fighters can rotate positions, so each one can fight from either the
right or left side of the screen.
4. Punches & Kicks: Pushing the red button while holding the Joystick in
various positions delivers punches and kicks as follows:
NEUTRAL + BUTTON = UP PUNCH
UP + BUTTON = UP PUNCH
DOWN + BUTTON = STRAIGHT PUNCH
RIGHT + BUTTON = STRAIGHT KICK
LEFT + BUTTON = UP KICK
5. Scoring: Each fighter scores points for delivering punches and kicks to
the opponent's body:
UP PUNCH = 10 POINTS
STRAIGHT PUNCH = 10 POINTS
STRAIGHT KICK = 15 POINTS
UP KICK TO SIDE OF HEAD = 20 POINTS
UP KICK TO FACE = 25 POINTS
KNOCKDOWN = 60 POINTS
6. Knockdowns occur only when you deliver a perfect up kick to your opponent's
head. To deliver a knockdown blow, you must be in exactly the right position
to strike your opponent with maximum force.
7. Advanced Belts: The fighter with the most points at the end of each 2-minute
match earns the next higher belt. A fighter also earns the next higher belt
when he/she scores 900 points.
8. Training Technique: If you want to practice your punching and kicking
techniques before facing a serious fighter, use SELECT to set Karate for 2
players but operate only your own Joystick. This gives you an opponent
who does not kick or punch.
Want to be the first to know when our next new Froggo video game becomes
available? Just send us a card with your name and mailing address, so we
can put you on our Special Customer Mailing List. Also, watch for new
Froggo video games wherever you buy game cartridges.
FROGGO GAMES CORPORATION
2685 Marine Way, Bldg. 1219
Mountain View, CA 94043
ATARI(R) and Video Computer System(TM) are trademarks of ATARI, INC.
FG1001 (C)Froggo Games Corp. Printed in U.S.A.