Members
FAQ
Search
Shop
Lottery
Arcade
Login\Out

My Old Commodore System!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> Commodore 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Good! My Old Commodore System! Reply with quote
admin
Master
Master

34882 Tokens

Items:
Ok so i will make the first post in this commodore 64 section!..

I started with computers when i was in highschool.. i took computer science in school.. and i was the only student too heheh which was how i learned to program more quickly since i was the only student made it a one on one basis with the teacher.. i learned alot.. which stuck my interest in computers!

During my high school days, i could never afford to buy one for myself.. let alone was allowed to by my so called parents.. .but then once i left home and was on my own then i was able to afford to buy what i wanted when i wanted...

My actual first computer i ever got was a TANDY MICRO Computer the smaller unit one that kinda had the same language as the COCOs.. then i got a coco 1 and then i got a cooco2 and then endup with the three coco3 hehehs over the years which i still have them three coco3s.. sad eh?!/ hehe.. i have even had a tandy 1000 hx too! i think i still have that too!. heheh! hehe i did alot of programming on the old coco machines hehehe!.. and alot of data cassettes filled up hehehe!

But the systen i was on the most and learned from the most was my commodore 64.. i first started the commodore scene when i got my commodore Vic 20.. then i sold that cause i didnt have alot of games for it.. just a couple carts.. which were vector games.

then i bought my first commadore 64.. and then i played with that for while and i couldnt afford a drive at that time so i sold it to a guy that did HAM RADIO...

so after a few years went by i found a deal on a drive, monitor and c64, and a box of sofwtare etc etc .. so i bought it.. and that marked the beginning of my computer scene for real!

I got so in depth with it.. that i learned the machine inside and out.. i learned to repair them ... heck peopple were LITTERALLY giving me thier old systems that didnt work.. and i would rebuild them buying chips from the Local RAYS SUPPLY who ordered them for me.. .. then once the c64 was repaired i would sell it!!! :O)

i ran a bbs too!.. first i had ran the NOVA BBS.. Northeast Outlook Viewers Association.. for our local astronomy club .. and it was kewl.. i had sections on there that dealt with SETI etc etc!

I then bought a 52 meg CMD harddrive!.. which was expensive but it was kewl cause then the bbs was getting bigger.. i had purchased 2.. 3.5 inch 1581..drives.. and 2 more 1542II drives!.. i then hard wired my Old 1541 drives to run on manually switched device numbers..

well the BBS was getting huge.. but the interst for astronomy was dieing.. not to mention other stuff that i had to pull the plug on the NOVA BBS .. and then i started the DOGHOUSE bbs using CBASE 2 which i heavily modded!

I advertised my board all over the place and was getting alot of euros on it.. then i started to do graphic art on the commodopre 64.. which made my bbs look even KILLLLLLLER.. DOGHOUSE IS HERE!!.. heheh!

i did artwork for groups like ILLUSION and RMJCC.. which my bbs became HQ for a few of them groups.. thats when i started to work with machine language.. and was actually coding intros in machine language. man gotta love that SUPERSNAPSHOT 5 cart!..

well then i moved to Maryland.. which i cant say was a BIG MISTAKE.. but it was to try to better my life.. it didnt work so i moved back to NY... i set up my commodore setup here in my apartment.. and then i started to do graphic work on it again.. and working with machine language i was then making intros for the local tv stations hehehe!.. it was kewl!..

but after a spell i got out of the commodore system when i got my first pc.. throuh NRI.. i was taking up computer repair on the pc though nri.. and from there on end i had my c64 stuff all packed away. in the closet for all these years.

i had tons of commodore stuff accumated too over the years .. which then i eventually sold it all cause I dont have the room for it, and besides my PC has been my main set up for everything now.. graphics, music, etc etc.

But aside from that! i have to say it was the commodore scene that really opened the door for me. i am still doing doing grpahic work. But now on the PC.

I did Joe Lynn Turner's (ex lead singer for groups like RAINBOW, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, and DEEPPURPLE ) SOLO cd called "SLAM" cover art the full cover art from the lettering in his name to the everythign on the front is done by me! :O) that was my first real PUBLISHED work!..

tho i cant say i made any money off it.. it STILL is part of my port folio.. and you cant take that away from me hehe!..

Well i still do graphic and web work.. Hence this killer WEBSITE for VGC hehehe!.. I only work on my systems, and on my freinds computers now, as far as repair work.. and you know what it is better that way, for me anyways!

But I have to really thank the comodore 64 scene that's where it started!

:O)

patches/lasrblst patches/spidfght patches/spacshu1 patches/freeway patches/megmania patches/skiing

Last edited by admin on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
Marriott_Guy
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

5365 Tokens

Items:
It's odd how some of these older systems did influence people and their perspective interests, both during their experience at the time of using the pc/system and in the future.

The TI 99/4a was my first intro to the pc scene. I can remember going to the library and getting books on the Basic language and programming samples for games. When completing my first 'program' for the TI (at that time, it was basically a cut and paste operation for me) and seeing it work, I was hooked.

Through the years I have learned C/C++/VB/HTML/etc. and enjoy programming software on the side. Some of you may be familiar with a utility program for the pc golf sim 'Links' called 'QuickList'. Well, that was my baby (though a horribly high maintenance app from my end).

I have the C64 but haven't really messed around with it as of yet. I'll make a point of doing so. Thanks for the story admin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
admin
Master
Master

34882 Tokens

Items:
I definetaly agree!.. The odler systems is what struck my interest.. well... also if it wasnt for the fact that i was th eonly student in computer science.. in high school.. i dont think i would be here now!! Surprised) hehe!

I dont recall the exact model of the computer we had in school.. but it was only one of them in the class anyways.. it was a TANDY.. the monitor was black and white.. and i belive it was all in one type thing monitor with computer!.. and i dont think there was any drives at all.. the keyboard was on a cord cause i remeber it was set up on the desk.. and the monitor/computer was on the sshelf.. wiht the desk right up to the shelf!..

I DO remember in vivid details tho that it was A cassette storage Surprised) hehe.. heck it was like back in the 80s hehe!

I did learn alot tho .,. basic language.. i made a tic tac toe game.. and it was kewl... and then the teacher made it even a better version... yet harder to play and more challenging hehe!.. heck i was just happy i did what i did on it!

then thats what got me in to buying the cocos computers once i moved on my own!. i wa sable to get them .. and my interest was reallllllllly in to it!.. i did alot of basic programming on them... made a wholeastromomy charts and stuff it was killer.. (well at that time) hehe

then i got the commodores after!.. which i realllly advanced learning MACHINE LANGAUGE.. from the euro coders.. I had some really good freinds back then who taught me alotttttttt!.. the commoroes were also fun to repair too!.. they were actually easy!.. and i ended up with quite of few commodore 64 computers that were giving to me cause fo them being dead hehe!..

Mqn i miss them days!.. nnow awayds.. it sint the same thign with PC... worrying about viruses.. worrying about computer crashing all the time... hardware dieing on ya.. and you cant afford to buy a new one cause they are so expensive hehe so you have to keep an old antique PC alive but the parts are harder to find hehehe.. STUPID OLD PCI and ISA CARDS hehe.. not to mention ANTIQUE AT 230 watt power supplies !hehe!

What aver happened to the simple days.. hehehe but then again.. we never had the video game technology that we DO NOW.. back then... either.. heheh! TIME FLYS RIGHT bY!!

:O)

cheerz
Butch

edited---- changed 130 watt to 230 watt.. mistyped hehe... I dont hink i ever seen a 130 watt AT power supply heheh!.. but 230 isnt enought these days for the high end video game requirements of them new board and graphic accellerators!

patches/lasrblst patches/spidfght patches/spacshu1 patches/freeway patches/megmania patches/skiing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
My interest started, and still is with the Atari 800 and 800xl computers. It was the first one I owned.

The first experience I had with computers was seeing a Tandy in elementary school. In junior high it was the Apple, and in high school it was the PC AT and PC XT. Nothing fancy there. I remember drooling over the sounds that came from an Apple II GS.

I got my Atari 800xl, and then received a Timex Sinclair for free for taking an electronics class at Bailey Meter in Wickliffe.

After that I got an Amiga 500.

From there, I entered the PC world. My first was from Micro Center, a DX2/66 mhz. Ooooh, it had a math co processor in it.

Now I find myself still in the pc world, but maybe not for too long. I might give the Mac a shot. I hear so many things about it, that I am interested. But switching my PC world to a Mac world may not be all that fun.

patches/lb1mill patches/keystone
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
Good lord, You are gonna make my brain do some work...

I started off with an Atari 400 that I got from Gold Circle at Southland. Nobody wanted to take me to get it, so I walked up, and walked home with it. Note, this is years before Commodore came out with the C-64 or IBM with the PC. Your only choices then were an Atari 400/800, Apple //, Vic 20 or Radio Shack's computers. Atari was the best bang for the buck. Sold the 400, bought an 800, added an 800XL a few years later. Added a C-64c, ADAM (got it cheap at a garage sale), Atari 520ST, 1040ST, Mega2 ST, Amiga 500, then a Tandy 1000 PC with a 386 SX/20. Sold that, bought a Leading Edge 486SX 33, upgraded the processor to a 486DX 66 and built my own ever since.

One of my favorite things back in the ST days, was running a Mac emulator on the ST, and calling Mac boards. It was awesome. Being able to run Mac software faster than a Mac, on a bigger screen, at a fraction of the cost! I used to rub it in to Mac people back in the day. ST could also emulate the PC, but it as a little slow. Pc-Talk & Pc-File ran fine, but anything with graphics was way to slow. But then again, there was no reason, as the PC didn't have VGA yet back then, so all the games looked better on the ST and Amiga anyway.

I miss the old days. But thanks to the wonderful world of emulation, I have a PC, and old Dos box, a Mac, an ST, Amiga, Atari 8-bit, C-64, Vic 20, Apple //gs, Spectrum, Tandy Model 1, Coco II, Adam, Aquarius, Apple //e, C-128 and so many more in ONE CASE! and it's portable (laptop)!!! How much money would you have paid for a portable Atari 8-bit back in the day to take to the parties?? Smile I have a 17" monitor on my laptop, and a 21" on my desktop. They didn't make monitor's that gig back then. 14 was the norm. Nobody could afford hard drives in the 8-bit days, and they were $$$ for the ST & Amiga. Now, I can set up a hard drive for each machine, and max the machine out with as much ram as it could handle to see what it was like. Hell, I paid like $400 if memory serves to up the ram in my 520 to 1 gig of memory! Good things come to those who wait. Smile

patches/prescook patches/dragster patches/barnstrm patches/freeway patches/stampede patches/tennis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
The Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard. What were they thinking?!?
I got my first 800XL from Gold Circle also. I got my money's worth out of that thing. Still do. I just found a ton of software for it, so now I am going back to my roots and actually playing the games on the 800XL. You will find me locked in the computer room.
I was always impressed how the Atari, Commodore, and Amiga 500 performed so much better with graphics and sound than the pc did. The pcs that were out at the time of those other machines could not hold a candle to the Amiga's sound and video quality.
I still mess with emulation, but there is something about playing it on the actual machine that I prefer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
In the case of the C-64 I prefer the emulation...

Lets see... having a game load in 2-3 seconds on the emulator, or starting the disk to load, calling to order a pizza, going to get it, eating it, and letting it digest before the real C-64 loaded it in. I swear the Atari tape unit was faster then the 1541 drive.

patches/prescook patches/dragster patches/barnstrm patches/freeway patches/stampede patches/tennis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
admin
Master
Master

34882 Tokens

Items:
WGCL98 wrote:
In the case of the C-64 I prefer the emulation...

Lets see... having a game load in 2-3 seconds on the emulator, or starting the disk to load, calling to order a pizza, going to get it, eating it, and letting it digest before the real C-64 loaded it in. I swear the Atari tape unit was faster then the 1541 drive.

True then you get some of them commoie warez.. that had had to unpack once they finally loaded in! Man i miss them days ... you had to have patince with them!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
Commie warez. I think the Commode-dore disk drives were slower than the Atari cassette tape drives.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Good! Re: My Old Commodore System! Reply with quote
JoshandStacy
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

5046 Tokens

Items:
The Commmodore was the first computer I used too, I only played games on it though because I couldn't read yet ( I was born in '86)

I have many fond memories of the commodore though, Pirates!, Skate or Die! and Airborne Ranger.

I found my dad's commodore programming books when I was 13 thats one of the things that got me interested in programming.

He told me about the bbs systems a few years ago, man it sounds like it was awesome! I was so jealous, I wish we could bring them back just so I could see it... It's too bad I was born too late, I feel cheated! I grew up with AOL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> Commodore 64 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: