Members
FAQ
Search
Shop
Lottery
Arcade
Login\Out

Blitz Basic / Blitz3d / Blitz Max

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> General Video Game Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject:  Blitz Basic / Blitz3d / Blitz Max Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
For those of you who ever wanted to write your own game, but figured C++ was too hard, fear not!!

Blitz is a language designed by gamers for gamers!

BlitzBasic - Makes awesome 2D games. Very fast, easy to learn, and a lot less lines of code than C++. It is amazing how fast you get results.

Blitz3d - Fully backwards compatable with BlitzBasic, but gives you the option of making it 3d. Can use 3d models downloaded from net, or createed with programs like 3d Studio or others.

Blitz Max - Newer version of Bliz Basic, allowing you to compile your sorce to run on PC, Mac and Linix boxes.

I know what you are thinking... Basic games do not compare to C/C++/Assembly games. WRONG.
At one time, that was true. In the Atari, Commodore & Apple days, that was true. Games were very slow, movement was clunky and not smooth. Graphics and sounds were limited. etc... With Blitz, you can design all your sprites in a paint program, and easily access them in your programs. Sound? Same way (but with a sound editing program). Yes, it supports Mp3 if you want to add background or attract mode music. How easy? The following line is how to play an MP3 in Blitz.

Playmusic ("C:\mp3\songtitle.mp3")

Very easy. This program is the bomb. Once you are finshed, compile the program, and give the executable (or sell it) to friends! They do not have to have blitz. It runs as a stand alone executable! I wish I would have discovered this years earlier. Want to see what it can do?

http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/Lysozyme/Blitz-Basic.htm

http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/

Wanna see sampele source code, as to how easy it is??

http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-blitzbasic-881.html

patches/prescook patches/dragster patches/barnstrm patches/freeway patches/stampede patches/tennis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
VGC
Grand Master
Grand Master

56810 Tokens

Items:
I've got a great idea for a Pretty Basic Classic Arcade game, but am totally retarded when it come to any sort of programming. I also hate to read and am the worst at following directions. Want to collaborate on a game? Mike : )

http://www.videogameconnection.com
Ebay User ID : vgc

patches/pitfall patches/pitfall2 patches/hero patches/privteye patches/dec3gold patches/kaboom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
I am just in the begining stagees, but sure, I will see what I can do. Might take a little time, as I am not fluent yet, but sounds like fun. I can atleast start with the sound, graphics and animations.

patches/prescook patches/dragster patches/barnstrm patches/freeway patches/stampede patches/tennis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
I have seen some of the Blitz stuff and I have to say that I am impressed. I was hesitant to think that the games would be worth while. They look good and play good. Well, not every one, but many of them look good.

patches/lb1mill patches/keystone
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
Its just like anything else. If the programmer(s) are good artsts, good with sound, and have a good idea for a game, you will get excelent results with Blitz. But just like with music, you can get people who just throw a load of crap together and sell it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
Dog
Guardian
Guardian

2849 Tokens

Items:
100$ for the Blitz 3d and 80$ for Blitz MAx?! with 30$ for the GUI?!?! man thats not worth it!.. thats a little steep just to make games.

You can get GAMEMAKER and do just about anything with it, and you dont have to pay at all for it. You can sell you games too, ROYALTY FREE!! You have an option to to support the author and it is like 20-25$ thats hellava lot better deal!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
Lets compare a few things...

I can go to Giant Eagle, and get a pack of Sugardale hot dogs for $2, or I can get a pack of Nathan's for $4.59. Nathan's (the ORIGINAL hot dog that made Coney Island famous) tastes a HELL of a lot better. Thus, I buy Nathan's. (www.nathansfamous.com btw)

I can buy a DVD player at WalMart for $29. I can go to BestBuy and get a HD DVD player for $999. While granted, the HD DVD player is indeed overpriced, there is no comparison in quality.

I can get a Hyundai Accent for under $11K, or a Ferrari F430 for $174K. Both will get you from point A to point B, but given the choice, most people would rather have the Ferrari. I don't recall seeing the Accent in any of the Need for Speed series, or any other racing games for that matter.

In fairness, I downloaded a couple of programs created with GameMaker, and I will say they were rather impressive. However, I prefer a true programming language that has a huge user base. I would like to see some ports of classic arcade games to see what this thing can really do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
One thing I have to question about GameMaker....

I downloaded the demo version, and there are a couple of sample games on there. One titled Pac-Man and another titled Asteroids. Pac-Man loads and runs fine. The graphics, sound and gameplay make Pac-Man on the Commodore 64 look good, but that is not the point, I am sure they could have done better.

the problem is, when I go to load Asteroids, it says this function is only available on the full version. WTF??!! If you cant see or use it, why put it in the demo?

Maybe if I buy the Accent, I will get a hood ornament for the Ferrari with it???

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
admin
Master
Master

34882 Tokens

Items:
i know this is an old post.. and reviving it seems kinda redundant..

but you know WGCL.. that GAMEMAKER that i tlkaed to highly off back then.... well it wasnt all that great... i thought it was kewl based on some of the demos that i seen and i did make a little space invader type demo with it.. but after playing with it more i got bored with it.. cause the graphics wasnt ALL that stimulating.

I havent heard anymore of that BLITZ either.. but for serious game programmers.. after thinking about it.. them prices arent that bad for a serious game engine. And it saves the trouble of having to learn C++.

So i have to correct myself NOW on this old post! QAULITY should definatly come first! After all, when youre making game isnt that what you want? Smile

patches/lasrblst patches/spidfght patches/spacshu1 patches/freeway patches/megmania patches/skiing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> General Video Game Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: