Members
FAQ
Search
Shop
Lottery
Arcade
Login\Out

Emulation: Your opinion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> General Video Game Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject:  Emulation: Your opinion Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
What is the general opinion on emulation? My guess (and that is all that it is) is that Mike frowns on it, at he probably See's it as cutting in on his business, and I can respect that.

My opinion:
I love it. That being said, I have several Atari 2600s, Intellivision (somewhere....), Atari 800, Atari 800XL, Microvision, several handhelds, 2 Commodore 64's, 2 Amiga's, an Odyssey 2, 3 full size arcade games and a few others I am sure I am forgetting.

As a lot of purists tell you, there is nothing like playing a game on it's native hardware. I drive a semi truck, and do not have the space to carry a lot of systems with me. I do however have the room with a 17" laptop that runs Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, 8-Bit, ST, Lynx, Jaguar, Commodore Vic-20, 64, 128, 16, plus4, Amiga, Bally Astrocade, Nintendo NES, SuperNES, N64, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, Virtualboy, Sega Master System, Game Gear, Saturn, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Neo Geo Pocket, Timex Sinclair, Ti-994A, Old 286 PC, Apple Mac, Apple //E, //c, //+, //GS, Playstation, Bally Astrocade, Vectrex, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, Colecovision, Adam, Tandy Coco, Coco2, Coco3, Model I, Model III, Turbo Graphix 16 and 3DO. And these are just the AMERICAN SYSTEMS!!!! I didn't even mention the 7000+ arcade games!!!!!

There were several systems that came out in Japan & Europe that never made it over here. MSX, Sam Coupe and BBC Micro just to name a few. Some of these were pretty good, and may have fared well over here. Sadly, we will never now. Even Nintendo had some famicom (NES) games that sold over there that never made it to this corner of the world. MSX was a very popular machine around the world outside of North America in it's time. Do you think the X-box was the first Microsoft gaming system? Playstation first for Sony? Nope. MSX. The MSX was a standard developed by Microsoft, and sold by companies like Sony, Phillips, Gold Star and others. Ok, enough history, back to the subject at hand....

I might be in the truck playing Donkey Kong on the Super Gameboy, and then get the urge to play Star Wars on the 32X. No Problem! While emulation isn't always perfect on all systems, most do a really good job. Pretty amazing playing a black and white GB game on a 17" monitor! However, the downside is, I can not put the laptop in my pocket and take it in to the bathroom. I also live in a small apartment, so that also limits space for carts and consoles. But I have to be honest. Dragons Lair on a 36" TV is mind blowing! Do I still buy games, to not only support Mike, but for the novelty of playing them on there intended hardware? Yes. Do I still buy the PC disks like Atari's Greatest Hits, Intellivision Lives, and all the rest of the emulated classics even though I already have (in most cases for many, many years) all the games on the compilation? Yes.
Digital Daredevil has a very nice console collection going. He found a Pac-Man for the GameGear on eBay, which I never knew was available. Quick flip through the collection, and I found I had it. He asked me how it was before buying it, and I wa able to give him a review. He ended up not winning the auction, but still would like to get one. Hay Mike, if you run across one, hold it for him!! Smile (Note: Was only released in Europe, but Sega GG does not have a region lock).

Would I like to own every game for every system in real life? Of course. Do I have the room? Not unless you have a warehouse you will be willing to let me borrow. In closing, I love emulation, but I love the real hardware as well. I had many PC games that I had a copy of, and then bought (Duke 3D, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Park) to support the industry. If you do use an emulator, and you really like a game, buy it. Don't just say, Oh, I got it, why would I buy it. Support Mike! Smile

Just my 2 cen... $1.50

patches/prescook patches/dragster patches/barnstrm patches/freeway patches/stampede patches/tennis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
I prefer the actual machine or hardware as opposed to emulation.
Emulation has it's place, like when you are on a trip, or if you cannot afford or find the systems. Some of the systems are very rare, and some of the games are even rarer.
I like the actual hardware for nostalgia purposes, the artwork, the act of putting in the quarter or the cartridge is just as much a part of the game to me as playing it is.
Emulation is convenient, but the real deal is the REAL HARDWARE.

patches/lb1mill patches/keystone
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
admin
Master
Master

34884 Tokens

Items:
Emulators are OK if you cant find the orginal games anymore. But to me thay dont work as good as the orginal consoles. Like forexample.. SEGA released a SUPER SMASH PACK for the Dreamcast that were Sega Genesis games.. they were good and gave you the feel of playing the GENESIS.. BUT that was it.. the sound wasnt all that great in it.. as they are ONLY an emulation.

Even th XBOX has a few.. I have Midway ONE and TWo.. they kewl.. and i think there is a Version three out there (hint hint) Wink hehe.. but serisouly they are not like the orginal versions.. as well as the INTELLIVISION LIVES>. like i mentioned in another post it is OK to bring you back in time to reminsess.. but thats pretty much it..

Another one i have for the XBOX that i thought i would get into back then was the MEGAMAN collection .. it has like 8 games on it.. or so.. which was not as good as i thought it was going to be before i got it back then!

i think the my favourites, in order of Ratings.. that were released for the xbox are: (1 is the best)

1 Midway 1
2 Midway 2
3 Intelvision
3 Megaman!

since they are the only ones i have.. oh yeah if you wanna count like games like Pacman Fever which had the orginal pacman init! Also DOOM 3 Collectores edition had the ORIGINAL DOOMS in it.. and i was surprised they PLAYED very WELL!! :O)

So really i all depends on what it is.. and how well it plays.. but it basically is if you can find the orginal games first i would prefer that anyday over the emulators.

patches/lasrblst patches/spidfght patches/spacshu1 patches/freeway patches/megmania patches/skiing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> General Video Game Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: