Mail
Members
FAQ
Search
Shop
Lottery
Arcade
Login\Out

Letterboxing on old original 4:3 Movies... Opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> Movie & Video Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Question? Letterboxing on old original 4:3 Movies... Opinions? Reply with quote
admin
Master
Master

34882 Tokens

Items:
OK... here is the thing. All new movies, well movies at least that was produced in the last say 5-6 years have been recorded in widescreen mode, whether it is 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 etc etc.

I can live with that cause I have a feature on my old KOSS dvd player that maximizes the video to full screen. Which is kewl as it is like watching a full screen version (aside from the onscreen text).

But OWNING the WIDESCREEN version of the movie, you are getting the FULL picture as it was ment to be whether you watch it full screen or not. NOTHING is removed.

NOW when they take OLD classic movies that was originally filmed in 4:3 mode, and THEN add LETTERBOX borders on the top and bottom of the original picture is ACTUALLY KILLING IT! As they are really taking away PART of the original video, which sucks!

When i use the maximum feature on my KOSS dvd player, playing classice movies that were once 4:3 and now CUT off the top and bottom, I can tell it is zoomed IN EVEN MORE then the original FULL screen version. and totally looks like crap.

NOW i think what they should do:

First of the movie is filmed in WIDESCREEN to begin with them THEN FINE leave it that way and do NOT make full scrfeen version releases of it.. as i WOULD prefer the ORIGINAL widescreen versions.

BUT for classic FULL screen movies, they SHOULD LEAVE them alone. LEAVE them as they were originally.

If you watch them on WIDESCREEN tvs, then you will see the letterboxing (sorta speak), on the SIDES of the movies. which is alot alot better to live with and to me alot better period. At least the MOVIE is intact as it was originally recorded.

Now compared to having the TOP and BOTTOM of that original video CUT off just to fit a wide screen set cause alot of people still USE 4:3 tvs!

Thats just my opinion... what are your thoughts?

patches/lasrblst patches/spidfght patches/spacshu1 patches/freeway patches/megmania patches/skiing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
Initially it took a little getting used to watching the letterbox, but now with more recent tv's being widescreen it is a no brainer.
Widescreen is better in my opinion. I don't think I see as many dvd's that are full screen anymore but I certainly don't buy them.

patches/lb1mill patches/keystone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
admin
Master
Master

34882 Tokens

Items:
yes i know that the NEW tvs are widescreen now and that it is best to watch movies that are widscreen. It wasnt really the point i was making.

I was saying that when they convert the old classic movies that were ORIGINALLY filmed in 4:3 (full screen) mode just to make them into WIDESCREEN by adding the lines right overtop of the top and bottom of the original video is killing the actual video! They should never Convert them to widescreen because of that reason.

I have old movies that i bought just recently on DVD and they were orginally filmed in 4:3 mode. But have been converted to widescreen. Well i wouldnt call "Converting", when in reality all they are doing is literally CROPPING the top and bottom off. Cutting off a good portion of the picture.

Both my computers have WIDESCREEN monitors and when i watch an original FULL SCREEN movie on it I get bars on the LEFT AND RIGHT but the picture is FULL. That is easily to live with. I would rather watch it that way. At least the movie is NOT cropped and your getting it as it originally was filmed.!

OF course i like widescreen movies that ARE ORIGINALLY widescreen to begin with, should STAY widescreen and NOT made into FULL SCREEN cause they also crop out the SIDES to make it full screen. So they should leave them alone too. I would rather watch a WIDESCREEN movie on my KOSS dvd player that i can resize on my own!

But watching an old classic 4:3 that was made into WIDESCREEN just totally sucks.. they crop out to much of the movie and they SHOULD LEAVE IT ALONE!

Here is another thing to think about:

I hsve ALSO movies that are also BOTH widescreen and FULL SCREEN that come in the same box. Usually the classic movies that were orginally filmed in FULLSCREEn mode, and when you watch it in full screenand then watch it in widescreen you can see the difference and actually SEE HOW much they cut off.

NOW on the reverse thought. I also have movies that i bought WIDESCEEN and FULL SCREEN. For example i have BOTH versions of the DOOM move, wide and FULL.. IT was originally filmed in WIDESCREEN but the full screen was cropped on the SIDES of the video and just by watching it you can tell they cut off alot off the sides to make it FULLSCREEN.

The only differences is that if it is PAN AND SCAN. where AS they are cropping it to make it fullscreen they actually pan it left and right to get the better shots into the video! I noticed that as well watching the DOOM FULLSCREEn. You can tell it was panned. But when i watch the WIDESCREEN on my KOSS in full screen mode you can see where it would have been better panned!

SO my thoughts is they SHOULD JUST LEAVE the films as they are orginally recorded. The old classics in FULLSCREEN mode should be left fullscreen, and the NEW WIDESCREENS to leave them as widescreens..

DONT convert any videos cause EITHER way you do it.. YOUR STILL loosing a good percentage of the original video!

patches/lasrblst patches/spidfght patches/spacshu1 patches/freeway patches/megmania patches/skiing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> Movie & Video Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: