Members
FAQ
Search
Shop
Lottery
Arcade
Login\Out

Disney Quest's classic games review posted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> General Video Game Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject:  Disney Quest's classic games review posted Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
DigitalDaredevil and I were in Florida last week and went to DisneyQuest to play some classic games. Go to the review section and see his review.

Now my $.02

From everything I have heard, and knowing the Disney tradition of quality, I had expectations somewhere between the clouds and the blue band we call the sky. What did we get? Let's just say the rocket never left the ground. Cosmetically, most the machines looked great considering their ages. Most had either bad, or severely dimmed monitors. I can honestly say the I would rather play Mame than the games at DQ!!

Cedar Point has a rather large collection of classics, that unfortunately is diminishing year after year, and some of them are in need of repair, but at least there are some that work as they are supposed too! If we would have dropped $72 for the two of us to get in, I would have been complaining to the manager.

patches/prescook patches/dragster patches/barnstrm patches/freeway patches/stampede patches/tennis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
I agree. If we paid the gate price, I would have screamed for a refund. But since it was a cheapo add-on to the park tickets, it was not so bad. We did get to play some Daytona though.
I normally wouldn't complain so much about DQ, but I was there in October and the games were in sad shape. I thought that they would have fixed them by now, but it turns out that more were in worse shape than before, and a few great games were also missing from before.
It just shows you that Disney is not going to sink another penny into the place since they are going to shut it down.

patches/lb1mill patches/keystone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
VGC
Grand Master
Grand Master

56810 Tokens

Items:
Yeah that does suck that they cant maintain those quality Classic Arcade Games. They don't deserve them. They should just give them to me. I already have a few deadish games myself.

Mad Planets - Works when it wants to
Tempest - Bad Edge Connector
Ms. Multi-Pac - Probably Power Source
TRON - Probably Bad PS as well
Hang On Mini - Needs Brake Cables
Neo Geo 4 Slot - Monitor Work being done now

Mike : )

http://www.videogameconnection.com
Ebay User ID : vgc

patches/pitfall patches/pitfall2 patches/hero patches/privteye patches/dec3gold patches/kaboom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
WGCL98
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

2328 Tokens

Items:
The kicker is the cabinets for the most part are in pretty good shape. It is like going to a car show, and seeing a mint 57 Chevy, and then after the show, seeing the guy try to start it, and having black smoke coming from the exhaust.

patches/prescook patches/dragster patches/barnstrm patches/freeway patches/stampede patches/tennis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
No, its like having a beautiful body on the car and a broken steering wheel, gear shifter, dirty windshield, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
WGCL98 and I went back to DisneyQuest in September and sad to say, the games are still in the same shape as they were at the beginning of the year. It only reinforces the rumor that Disney is going to phase out DisneyQuest in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
Oh dear, where do I start when it comes to DisneyQuest. I just visited there last week and it appears that they classics keep disappearing and that many games are not playable as we remember them.
Many still had joystick issues, dead springs, Tron's spinner did not work, and many others were just not up to decent playability. They have moved some games around and it appears that some games have disappeared, including the Star Wars cockpit which has been gone for a while and Lunar Lander. They do try to make up for it with some multicades, but as fun as they are, it is not the same.
Here are most of the games that they still had there: Marble Madness, Spy Hunter, Pac Man (2), Frogger (2), Tron (2), Front Line, Discs of Tron (stand-up) (2), Space Invaders/Qix cocktail, Centipede, Millipede, Mario Brothers (2), a couple VR multicades, Joust (2), Donkey Kong Jr. Space Invaders, Moon Patrol, Asteroids Deluxe, Super Pac Man, Galaga, Ms. Pac Man, Galaga/Ms. Pac Man combo (2), Mr. Do, Donkey Kong (2), Arkanoid, Dig Dug (2), Robotron, Galaxian, Q*Bert, Asteroids, Jungle Hunt, Elevator Action, Gorf, Burgertime, Pengo, Phoenix, Zaxxon, and a fighting game I cannot recall. The herd is thinning, but it is still worth a visit if you have the add on on your Disney Park Pass. It is far from worth the gate price of $40.
The place has some good VR attractions like a Pirates of the Caribbean 3d simulator where you are on a pirate ship mock up with cannons and a steering wheel, as you launch cannonballs and steer your ship to destroy other pirate ships. They also have a neat Jungle Cruise VR game where you are in an actual raft with paddles and you have to navigate down the river.
There are about 5 pinball machines, newer models, Elvis, Mars Attacks, and a couple others there, but I was immediately attracted to the two Global VR Ultra Pinball machines that they had there. These were very pretty to look at, with an LCD screen for the play field, and an lcd screen that shows the back glass and scores. There are 12 tables on this machine, including, Sorcerer, Medieval Madness, Black Knight 2000, Funhouse, Fathom, F-14 Tomcat, PinBot, Eight Ball Deluxe, Attack From Mars, Strikes and Spares, Firepower, and Xenon. The machine is eye candy, and has neat features like nudging the table to alter the ball path, when you click the flippers, it gives a click similar to a real pinball machine, a real plunger, and all the sounds, graphics, and effects of the original machines. The machine worked decent, although I found the ball travel to be a bit choppy, maybe a higher refresh rate on the monitor would have solved this. Although the tables looked great, those who have played Visual Pinball would find it better than the VR Pinballs table looks. Some of the graphics became a little distorted where there was lot of "busyness" in the graphics. It was a decent replacement for pinball, but it was definitely not a replacement for a real pinball machine.
They have some of the newest games, an 8 car wall of Nascar Racing which is decent, but nothing like Sega's Daytona USA which I think is one of the funnest race car games around.
A neat new addition was a remake of Sea Wolf. this was a color version where you have controls like a periscope and launch torpedoes at different kinds of ships. Retro sounds included, like the little speed boat that buzzes quickly in the distance.
Even though I am critical of the price and the classic games condition, the place is still fun and definitely worth it to kids. I don't spend enough time in the place to justify the costs, but you may find it well worth it. And true to Disney form, just like when you leave an attraction you are forced to exit through a gift shop, Disney forces you through their DQ gift shop. Sadly, they did not have any kind of DQ shirts or souvenirs, just general park stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
VGC
Grand Master
Grand Master

56810 Tokens

Items:
"Global VR Ultra Pinball machines that they had there. These were very pretty to look at, with an LCD screen for the play field, and an lcd screen that shows the back glass and scores."

Sweet Thats kinda what I am trying to Make - the Backglass and score. I have an empty Addams Family Pinball Body and a 42in LCD TV ( May actually be a little too big so I may get a 32-36. I usd to have Visual Pinball a while back, but am unsure if they offer a 90 degree flip to let me play lengthwise on the LCD. I also have a 2 player X-Arcade Control Panel with Side Flippers I was going to have Matt Hook Up or Just use the Actual Pinball body Flippers. I wanted the Header part to be a MAME Arcade so it would be a Video Pinball/Arcade 2 in 1 combo : ) I have always wanted to make one but not the TVs have come waaaay down in price and it is affordable. Sucks that some of the Classice had issues at DQ. TRON with a bad spinner knob is totally unacceptable. Wasn't TRON a Disney Movie too? Mike : )

patches/pitfall patches/pitfall2 patches/hero patches/privteye patches/dec3gold patches/kaboom
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
Yes, Tron was a Disney Movie. I did not even think about that. Makes you wonder...

I will email you pictures of the VR pinball. It was very nice to look at, but I personally enjoyed Visual Pinball better.

I have tried Future Pinball but it was too resource hungry for my laptop. Ill have to try it on my home pc sometime.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
There is a guy named Rob Craig who is making a mini pinball machine using lcd screens. I think it is called Mini-Pin, and it is highlighted in this month's Gameroom magazine. A great magazine run by a cool guy. If you are into the actual game room ascpect of arcade games, or just like the older coin-ops, this magazine is worth the money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
VGC
Grand Master
Grand Master

56810 Tokens

Items:
Cool, Thanks for all the great Info. i will have to check that all out. Mike : )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
So after the CCAG Show, I was spent. I had an extra week off and went back to the Disney area and visited DisneyQuest today.
To my surprise, Lunar Lander was back. The monitor could have been brighter but it was playable. The Tron Spinner was still not working. The second Tron machine was unplayable as the joystick had no spring in it at all, and the monitor was very washed out.
There were a couple classics I missed which were The Punisher, karate Champ, and Kangaroo.
In the couple weeks I was gone, they seemed to rotate the machines around a bit, most notably in the pinballs. The Pins they had were: 2 of the Multi Pin machines, Elvis, Indiana Jones, Mars Attacks, Star Wars, and one other pin I can't recall.
There is a cool trivia machine that has 4 bar stools, and it spins like Wheel of Fortune to pick the category. It is a ticket redemption machine but they do not give out tickets in DQ. A fun machine, tickets or not.
There was a Namco machine called Flaming Finger which I will allow you to make your own jokes to.
I failed to mention plenty of Skeeball, air hockey, DDR machines, and a Drum Machine game.
There was a new machine called Sega TV Rally or something like that. It was a fun driving game that was arcade style. I'm not a big fan of realistic driving sims. It is too hard to drive not feeling the forces of the road. I always put the pedal to the medal and drive crazy.
This Sega racing game had a bit of the feel of Daytona USA (the best racing game in my opinion) but was less forgiving if you made mistakes. Plenty of power up speed strips, power boosts, and bump and grind racing. Not a bad machine. It was a lot better then EA NASCAR which replaced the Daytona USA 10 player wall.
And finally, although this game has been around a couple years, they had one of the remakes of the old Atari X O football. It was neat to look at from a nostalgia point of view, but it has the view from above of the players, which kind of reminded me of Tommy Lasorda Baseball on the TurboGrafx 16. Not a great game.
The more I go to DQ, the more I find things that I really like, and then I find plenty that leaves me disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
As some of you can tell from my frequent reviews of DisneyQuest that I am a Disney fan and visit there semi-often, I surely have my complaints of the place. Even though they do most things very well, one place they fail in are the arcade machines.
I am currently in Disney World and went to every arcade I was near.
First I went into the arcade in Space Mountain. This is a decent arcade, pretty big in size with only a few classics which are the Missile Command/Centipede combo and a Joust/Robotron combo machine.
I have recently decided that I needed to hit every pinball machine I ever run into to make sure people know there is an interest in this dying arcade era. I love pinball and with only one major player in Stern Pinball barely surviving, I felt the least I could do was to show that there was an interest and sink some coins in the machines.
At the Space Mountain arcade there were Roller Coaster Tycoon, Pirates of the Caribbean, and two other machines.
I only played the Roller Coaster Tycoon as I was limited on time. Nice machine, but Disney has a horrible way of maintaining and repairing their machines. As I have listed before on the arcade machines in DisneyQuest, they all look very good, but the gameplay was less than enjoyable. The machines were set at a high angle and also tilted to the right making it seem that they wanted you to lose the game as fast as possible. Now I understand the delicate balance between making money and making an enjoyable experience, but Disney seems to stack the deck too far against you. The obvious repairs to the machine were poorly done as the bumper covers were held on with regular washers and bolts, ruining the aesthetics of the machine. Flippers could use more pep too.
Secondly, I visited the Fast Forward Arcade in the Pop Century Resort. This too is a pretty big arcade full of redemption games, and is operated on a card system similar to Dave and Busters.
As you walk in there are a few racing sims and jetski/boat racers, a bunch of kiddie redemptions and modern arcades.
I went straight to the pinball machines. They had a Pirates of the Caribbean, Elvis, World Poker Tour, and Indiana Jones.
I played the Elvis first. Half of the knock down targets did not work. The ball liked to get stuck in the groove of one of the side knock down targets which required you to tilt it to free it. The worst part was that a popper hole (I'm sure there is an official name for this) that catches the ball and shoots it back out, releases it directly down the drain every time. I lost all of my balls that way. What a bummer.
The Pirates of the Caribbean pinball had a bumper cover that was no longer attached to the pssts, but now was in the playfield. The other two machines had very weak flippers and all machines were tilted to the ride and rather steep.
Finally, I went to DisneyQuest which pretty much had the same machines in the classics department. the machines were as pretty as ever but with the same gameplay, joystick issues, and monitor issues that I have listed before. Also, you could not coin up Discs of Tron. No fun in that.
I went to the pinball area where they had Indiana Jones, Spiderman, Batman, CSI, Pirates of the caribean, and two UltraPin machines. The Spiderman's left flippers did not work. The Ultra Pins just do not do it for me. Now I like pinball in emulation via Visual Pinball, but the Ultra Pin isnt smooth enough to make it enjoyable. Plus when playing on a real sized machine, I miss the 3d depth and physicality of a real pinball machine.
I kind of gave up on pinball at Disney.
It's a shame because a dying form of entertainment can be suffering a quicker demise from operators that do not maintain or keep the games fair and fun to play.
I appreciate the arcades which are still around, but it will never be like it was in the early 80's. If I only had a time machine...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote
VGC
Grand Master
Grand Master

56810 Tokens

Items:
Hello DD, I hope your enjoying Florida. I used to go there every year as a kid. Walt Disney World Rocks! I could use a vacation, we're getting snow right now. There's nothing worse than lame flippers to ruin a pinball experience. Enjoy your vacation. Mike : )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote
DigitalDaredevil
Youngling/Initiate
Youngling/Initiate

236177 Tokens

Items:
I love the place as it is a nice getaway.
I do have to add to the negative review. A lot of the ticket redemption machines were out of tickets constantly and quite a few were put out of order. I think they are understaffed to deal with the amount of use they get.
The arcade at the Pop Century resort had out of order signs on two of the pinball machines that had issues but were still playable. I imagine that the repair tech, if you want to call him that, will just look at the machine, not fix the problems, and render them repaired. Such a shame for some nice machines.
I understand that machines break and need attention on a regular basis, but they are not fixing them.
I also do not like the fact that they get these kids, and adults, to play these redemption games to get tickets to win prizes and the machines do not even do what they are expected to do.
At least at Dave and Busters they are constantly replenishing and fixing the machines.
I am glad that I have a good tech that knows what he is doing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VIDEO GAME CONNECTION Forum Index -> General Video Game Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: